Parent University: A Literacy Feast
Posted by Dr. Sharon Desmoulin-Kherat on 3/18/2019 10:00:00 PM
Peoria Public Schools will host its final Parent University of the school year on Thursday, March 21 from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Peoria Public Library Main branch. Parent University gives parents and students the chance to visit Peoria-area cultural and recreational venues together and participate in workshops to enhance student achievement and family well-being.
This month’s event, entitled Literacy Feast, will be an evening of family engagement featuring presentations by community partners as well as reading and writing workshops by favorite children’s authors and storytellers.
Families can take buses beginning at 4:45 from Trewyn School, Manual Academy, Peoria High School, Glen Oak Community Learning Center and Woodruff Career and Technical Center (WCTC). We will be providing a free dinner featuring walking tacos and winning healthy Tex-Mex recipes from our recent Future Chef competition.
Families will rotate through a series of presentations including:
- Erin’s Law by Starshe Richards of The Center for Prevention of Abuse
- Wraparound Center by Derrick Booth, PPS Director of Social Emotional Learning (SEL)
- Newly introduced Crisis Go app by PPS Public Safety Director DeMario Boone
- AlignPeoria’s Literacy Committee focus on helping students read by the third grade by Executive Director of Primary Schools, Dr. Nicole Wood
- Peoria Public Schools Online Academy by Director of Innovation, Dr. Susan Grzanich
- Snack-A-Demics, by Sodexo and Future Chefs
Families and students also can participate in reading and writing workshops featuring these authors from around the state:
- Natalie Rompella (for students in PreK through grade 2)
- Sarah Aronson (for students in grades 3 through 7)
- Bradley James Webber (for students in grades 3 through 5)
- Alexandria LaFaye (for children in grades 6 through 8)
To top it off, guests can see Expressive Voices, an exhibit of artwork by PPS students in the art gallery, enjoy musical entertainment by Peoria High School Preparatory School for the Arts (PSA) students, and students can have their photo taken with Clifford the Big Red Dog, Dora the Explorer or Dr. Suess!
All students who attend the Parent University will receive a uniform-free pass for Friday, March 22.
PPS families can make reservations for Parent University at www.peoriapublicschools.org.
I hope to see many of our PPS families on Thursday, March 21.
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016