Spring 2021 Reopening
JAN. 1 UPDATE: In-person instruction resumes on the hybrid A/B schedule beginning Tuesday, Jan. 19. Valeska students will begin in-person instruction on Tuesday, Jan. 26. Please contact your school for any questions about whether your student is on the A or B schedule, or any other questions pertaining to in-person learning.
UPDATE AS OF NOVEMBER 16, 2020: Through the guidance from the Peoria City/County Health Department, Peoria Public Schools wants to announce the following changes:
- In-person instruction on the hybrid schedule will continue through Tuesday, Nov. 24th.
- Starting Monday, Nov. 30th, following Thanksgiving break, all students will phase back to Distance Learning. This mode of learning will resemble the start of the 2020-2021 school year back in August and will also include Valeska Hinton and Woodruff students.
- Virtual students using the Acellus platform will remain on that platform.
- Besides essential personnel at each building, staff will also be working remotely during this time period.
- Peoria Public Schools will proceed with its Winter Remote Learning plan for the first two weeks of second semester following Winter Break. Students will be in Distance Learning from Jan. 5th through Jan. 15th and staff will work remotely from Jan. 4th through Jan. 15th.
- Meal service will continue at the school buildings.
UPDATE AS OF OCTOBER 13: Middle School students will return to the building on the A/B schedule model that is part of the approved Return to School plan. Students in 5th and 6th grade will return starting Wendesday, November 4th, while students in 7th and 8th grade will return starting Monday, November 9th.
Because of the complexity of scheduling, grades, final exams, and learning platforms, PPS high school students will return starting Tuesday, January 5th.
However, high school students that need or request additional support will be provided options to learn in-person using an open space concept starting as early as this month. These students will receive letters from their high school principal very soon. If you want to request additional supports, please contact your school for more information.
UPDATE AS OF SEPTEMBER 22: Students in 2nd grade, 3rd grade and 4th grade will return to in-person learning on a blended A/B schedule starting Monday, October 26th. Families of students in those grade levels will be contacted with more information in the coming days.
UPDATED AS OF SEPTEMBER 15: K-1 students and self-contained special education students will return to in-person learning on a blended A/B schedule starting Oct. 5th for K-1 students and Oct. 12 for self-contained students. Please read this FAQ for any questions you may have about the advancement plan for these student groups.
Since early May, the Return to School Committee has met over 70 times to plan for the Fall 2020 return to school plan. The 131 people that represented all stakeholders in Peoria Public Schools developed a plan to present to the Board of Education at a special board meeting on June 22nd. This plan is aligned with the current guidance from the Governor, the Illinois Department of Public Health and the Peoria City/County Health Department, as well as the Restore Illinois Reopening Plan.
The Board voted to adopt the plan with the understanding that it will continue to evolve as further guidance is released by ISBE and the IDPH as well as further information gathering from district stakeholders. Following the August 10 Board meeting, this is our plan for school in the fall:
Distance Learning – Due to the board decision, Peoria Public Schools will begin the 2020-2021 school year with distance learning and not in-person instruction.
Following this decision, families had two choices:
Choice 1.) Distance learning will follow your child's school bell schedule with a Peoria Public Schools teacher conducting class through MS Teams five days a week.
Choice 2.) Virtual Learning @ Home 2.0 (K-8) has a flexible schedule allowing parents to determine when and where students work. Students will use the Acellus platform with a Peoria Public Schools teacher guiding the learning progress.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding Virtual Learning or the Acellus platform, please contact Doug Atkins-Blaye at firstname.lastname@example.org and 309-672-6630 ext. 40104 or Michael McGovern at email@example.com and 309-672-6542 ext. 49104. They will assist with logging in, finding classes and any other questions you may have.
We have also accommodated any changes families wanted to make changing to Distance Learning or to Virtual Learning. As of Tuesday, August 25, returning students will not be able to switch between those options in order to stabilize rosters. New students to the district will still have the opportunity to sign up. We will continue working with families to monitor their progress and make any adjustments.
Distance Learning hours will follow the same three-tier schedule we were going to use for the hybrid in-person days:
- Tier 1: 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Manual, Richwoods, Peoria High, T.T.P., Lindbergh, Mark Bills, Rolling Acres, Jamieson
- Tier 2: 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. - Calvin Coolidge, Glen Oak, Developmental Center, Harrison, Roosevelt, Sterling, Von Steuben, Trewyn, Washington
- Tier 3: 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. – Charter Oak, Maude Sanders, Franklin, Hines, Kellar, Northmoor, Thomas Jefferson, Whittier, Lincoln
Principals will be communicating times for families to pick up a device at the school prior to the start of the school year.
Effective starting the week of Aug. 24, Valeska Hinton Early Childhood Education Center will have in-person instruction four days a week from Monday through Thursday, with Friday being a deep cleaning day. Details on other programs will be forthcoming.
We understand there are many questions about the upcoming fall semester. We will continue to keep you informed throughout this process via regular updates by email, phone calls, mailers, the PPS website and our social media pages.