Whittier Primary School utilizes research-based curriculum and instruction, differentiated instruction, and frequent assessment to ensure that all students succeed. Along with providing a safe environment for optimal learning, Whittier’s students are nurtured to maintain positive self-esteem, civic responsibility,and an appreciation for life-long learning.Vision:We promote the highest achievement and civic responsibility for every student to ensure continued academic success in middle school.
Peoria Public Schools Values
Expectations of Excellence an environment of high expectations in which all people consistently strive to operate at optimal performance levels.
Respect caring for all people and valuing their unconditional worth.
Integrity/Ethical behavior consistent actions based on the highest standards of credibility, honesty, and ethical behavior.
Collaboration working together to achieve common goals through open and honest communications.
Communication conveying thoughts and ideas through a variety of mediums that promote clarity and understanding.
Accountability/Commitment accepting personal responsibility for the accomplishment of organizational goals.
Expectations of Excellence
- I encourage students to believe in themselves.
- I support the concept of life-long learning in myself and students.
- I expect students to be the best that they can be.
- I continually look for ways to improve my teaching both in knowledge and delivery of lessons.
- I attempt to understand each individual student to the best of my ability.
- I look forward to being inspired by students, other teachers, parents, and their ideas.
- I demonstrate/model good manners (please, thank you, excuse me.)
- I listen to the children and make them feel valued (thoughts and opinions).
- I work with other staff members to create a respectful environment.
- I respect/appreciate the efforts displayed by my students and other staff members.
- I work to instill and demonstrate a high regard for authority.
- I adhere to deadlines.
- I tell the truth.
- I welcome and respect input from others.
- I model good behavior.
- I seek opinions/suggestions of others and listen to their ideas with an open mind.
- I share my ideas with other teachers, staff, parents, and students as appropriate.
- I evaluate/revise my personal opinions to come to consensus.
- I expect and want all parties involved to participate in information sharing and possible remediation.
- I send home weekly newsletters and graded papers.
- I read the staff bulletin.
- I make phone calls, send notes, and speak with parents on a daily basis.
- I send Good News postcards.
- I meet and plan with my grade level team.
- I attend staff meetings.
- I interact with my students using varied teaching styles.
- I am committed to providing a nurturing learning environment of my students.
- I am committed to providing instructional practices that meet the needs of all
- I am accountable to provide and model desired behaviors.
- I am committed to developing nurturing relationships with my students/families.