Dignity, Respect, and Achievement for All
MissionTo empower every person to become a responsible, self-directed, lifelong learner through a positive partnership of family, school, and community.
We believe that every child should be educated to his or her fullest potential. In doing this, we must provide programs which will challenge our most capable students. Washington School is committed to serving the special needs of intellectually gifted students and providing educational opportunities that are qualitatively different. The program is based on the belief that the special needs of intellectually gifted students require a curriculum and instruction which emphasizes critical thinking and creative problem solving. All students will be provided appropriate and adequate opportunities:
- to demonstrate a core base of knowledge in all areas of learning;
- to correlate knowledge and skills in all academic areas;
- to exhibit responsibility as self-directed learners in the classroom and on an independent basis
- to demonstrate positive self-concepts with a sense of social awareness in a pluralistic society
We value a well-rounded education for all students providing academic as well as extra curricular activities.
- Each Washington graduate will have the opportunity to develop and demonstrate all aspects of his/her giftedness in an academic context.
- Each Washington graduate will demonstrate the correlation between disciplines.
- Each Washington graduate will be prepared to excel in all enriched subjects.
Core Values & Beliefs
Peoria Washington Middle School’s core values guide our decisions and anchor our actions and in the pursuit of learning. We are committed to fostering:
To teach all students to use their minds well and to cultivate their particular talents.
To establish a culture of dignity, respect, and achievement for all.
To demand excellence and to foster lifelong learning in a safe, welcoming environment.
- The PWMS student demonstrates self-awareness through the pursuit of personal wellness and appropriate social and personal interactions.
- The PWMS student takes responsibility for academic and future goals and decision making.
- The PWMS student demonstrates effective habits of work and ethical and open-minded behavior.
- The PWMS student uses technology in a socially responsible manner.
- The PWMS student participates as an active citizen in the school and broader community and contributes positively to both.
- The PWMS student speaks and presents effectively.
- The PWMS student effectively uses the arts for informative purposes and expression.
- The PWMS student reads, understands and interprets a variety of texts.
- The PWMS student uses complex and creative reasoning strategies to generate appropriate solutions to a variety of problems.
- The PWMS student writes in a clear and engaging manner.
- The PWMS student utilizes technology for a variety of academic purposes.
- The PWMS student accesses, evaluates, and uses information efficiently, effectively, and critically.