The Early Entrance to Kindergarten and First Grade for the 2020-2021
Early Entrance to Kindergarten is the admission of a student to kindergarten who will not yet be five years old by Sept. 1st of that school year and whose 5th birthday falls between Sept. 2 and Oct. 31st, as documented by a certified copy of the birth certificate.
Early Entrance to First Grade is the admission of a student to first grade who will not yet be six years old by Sept. 1st of that school year and whose 6th birthday falls between Sept. 2nd and Dec. 31st, as documented by a certified copy of the birth certificate. This would apply to students who completed kindergarten in a preschool setting or students who have not completed kindergarten. Students who are younger than six upon starting first grade but who were admitted early to kindergarten do not need to be reevaluated prior to admission to first grade.The process is as follows:
1. Complete the Early Entrance to Kindergarten/First Grade application. Click HERE for appplication.
2. Return the completed application to: Peoria Public Schools Curriculum Department Attention: Susan Gobeyn 3202 N Wisconsin Avenue Peoria, IL 61603
3. Once the application has been received, an appointment will be set for an early numeracy and early literacy screening.
4. The results of the early math and early literacy screening will be evaluated and if your child displays academic readiness for kindergarten or 1st grade, he/she will be referred to our team for additional screening.
5. The process will take approximately four weeks.Applications will be accepted from April 1 through May 22, 2020.