Many parents ask their child about what they did while at school and get responses like "I don't know" or "I can't remember." Try using one of the conversation starters to get a better understanding of what your child is doing while at school. These conversation starters are open-ended, so they encourage children to give longer responses. Don't forget to talk to your child about your day, too!
1. Tell me something new you learned today in your classroom.
2. Tell me about the best part of your day.
3. What was the hardest thing you had to do today?
4. Did you do anything fun today? Tell me about it.
5. Who did you sit next to at lunch? What did you talk about?
6. Who did you play with at recess today? What did you play?
7. Can you show me something you learned in math today?
8. What special class (gym, computers, music, art, library) did you go to today? Tell me about what you did in that class.
9. Do you know the rules for your classroom? Can you teach them to me?
10. Tell me something that you enjoyed learning about today.
11. Tell me something that you did not enjoy learning about today.